By Chef Erica
Coming up on The Prairie Street Prime Culinary Kitchen
Chef Erica will teach us how to make her Kosher Moroccan Spiced Meatballs with Orzo using Prairie Street Prime’s Kosher Premium Ground Beef.
Spice up the ordinary meatball with Chef Erica’s Moroccan inspiration. Prairie Street Prime’s Premium Ground Beef, is proprietary blend of ground brisket that has the perfect balance of fat to meat lending to a silky, unctuous meal. This recipe is a sure crowd pleaser that makes a great main course and even a fun appetizer!
Ingredients List for the Kosher Moroccan Spiced Meatballs
- 1 pound Prairie Street Prime Ground Beef
- 2 large cloves garlic, peeled and smashed to a paste with 2 teaspoons of Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes or other dried chili flake (optional)
- 1/4 cup raisins or dried currants, soaked in water or Kosher red or white wine
- 1/4 cup mint, chiffonade (parsley and basil work nicely, too)
- 1 egg
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil as needed for cooking
Ingredients for Kosher “Yogurt” Sauce
- 1 cup plain Kosher non-dairy yogurt (coconut or cashew)
- 1 clove garlic, mashed to a paste with 1/2 teaspoon of Kosher salt
- ½ lemon, zested and juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon minced herbs such as sliced chives, dill, parsley, mint or cilantro (or a mix of any or all)
To Prepare Your Kosher Moroccan Spiced Meatballs
Preheat your oven to 375F.
In a large mixing bowl combine your Prairie Street Prime Premium Ground Beef, garlic paste, cumin, coriander, fennel seeds, red pepper flakes, soaked raisins or currants with wine (if using water to soak the currants, discard the water), mint, egg, and Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Using clean hands gently combine all of the ingredients together, being careful not to over mix. Shape into 2-inch meatballs.
Over a medium to high flame, heat a large, ovenproof sauté pan and coat with extra virgin olive oil. Add the meatballs, being sure not to crowd the pan, and brown on all sides. Once seared on all sides, transfer the pan to your preheated oven. Cook for about 8-10 minutes or until the internal temperature reads 160F.
Serve your Moroccan Spiced Meatballs with a drizzling of the Kosher non-dairy yogurt sauce.
To Prepare Your Kosher Non-Dairy Yogurt Sauce
In a small mixing bowl, combine your Kosher non-dairy yogurt with the garlic paste, lemon, turmeric and black pepper. Once seasoned to your liking, stir in your herbs just before serving.